Your computer may have these problems that need repairs
All computers will eventually break down.
If your laptop is Apple Mac, we have a dedicated article about how to test and repair Apple Mac computers.
If you’ve spilt water onto your laptop causing the problem, see our water damaged laptop repairs.
Below is problems that computers may have, even though you have done nothing wrong to it:
- Computer does not turn on at all. When this happen, it is most likely that it will need professional repairs.
- Freezing problem. Not responding. Not opening apps. Mouse clicking does not respond.
- Very slow, taking a long time to start up and to open apps, documents.
- An error message shows “No bootable device” at startup.
- Blank grey screen at startup and does not boot to Windows or macOS.
- Computer does not boot, showing a folder icon with a question mark, or a circle with a slash through.
- Windows or macOS does not boot. You see a loading bar when the computer starts, it takes a long time then freezes or turns off itself.
- Laptop does not charge. The charger light may come or may not come in.
- Computer turns off itself, blacks out and shut down without warning.
- Keyboard keys are sticky, not responding or jammed. This is typical when sugary drink was spilt onto keyboard.
- Touchpad (aka trackpad) cursor does not move properly, it may jump around, or clicking / opening apps randomly.
- Loud noise from fan. The fan appears to be running at full speed all the time, or clunky fan noise.
- Shift key is always engaged or stuck. All letters become caps letters when you type.
- An error message shows “Your computer has restarted from a problem…” at startup.
- Wireless in laptop does not work. It remains disabled and you cannot enable it. Or it may not detect any wireless network in the area.
- Battery in laptop does not hold charge for long. It may only last for minutes, or suddenly turns off even though it has some charge left.
- Battery in laptop has stopped working completely. The laptop needs to be plugged in with its charger to work. If you unplug the charger, the laptop turns off immediately.
- Battery in laptop shows “Service battery” message, or “Replace soon”, or “Replace now”.
- Watermark behind screen.
- Both keyboard and touchpad in laptop stop working altogether.
Other than that, your laptop may break down because of accidents such as drop, water liquid spill, power surge etc.
- Impact damages such as drop, knock.
- Cracked screen due to drop, knock, or an object was left on keyboard while you close the screen.
- Water liquid spill damage on laptops, or desktop PC, Apple iMac or Mac Pro (less common).
- Virus spyware problem.
- Power outage, power surge causing laptop not turning on.
- Overheating problem, laptop computer gets really hot and may turn off itself. This is caused by dust clogging fan and heatsink inside the computer.
Let us help you. Our computer repairs services in Sydney include
- We repair both Windows computer PC, laptops, and Apple Mac computers including Apple iMac, Apple Mac Pro, and Apple MacBook laptops.
- Repair water damaged laptops.
- Fix slow computer problems, boost performance.
- Screen repairs and replacement for all makes: for all make: Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS, Toshiba, Clevo, Razer, Sony, Apple.
- Laptop keyboard repairs, including Apple Mac laptop keyboard.
- Repair loud fan noise, rattling or clunky fan noise.
- Repairs on computers not turning on.
- Repairs on computers freezing, not responding problems.
- Fix problems with computers running slow, unstable, crashes.
- Replace laptop batteries. There are many batteries in the market, we only source batteries from our network of trusted suppliers.
- Repair laptop charging port, power socket, DC jack.
- Troubleshoot Windows not starting problems, eg. unsuccessful start-up repair, missing or corrupted DLL files, NTLDR missing error, blue screen errors, black screen errors, cannot log in to user profile, forgotten windows log-in password, etc.
- Repairs on no bootable device error message at startup.
- Repair SMART hard disk failure error at startup.
- Repairs on broken laptop hinge.
- Repairs on problem with Apple Mac computers that show a folder icon with question mark, vertical lines on screen, circle with a slash through at startup.
- Remove virus spyware from computers.
- Fix blue screen of death errors.
- Repairs on problems with computer making noise, dust, over-heating issues.
- Repair and replace damaged computer parts.
- Attempt to recover data from computers.
- Help to set up computers, printers, connect to network, set up a secured wireless network, and firewall.
- Troubleshoot network problems, wireless problems.
- and much more.
Why computers break down
All computers, laptops, including Apple Mac are expected to last 3-4 years then it will need to be repaired. If you’re unlucky, it will only last 1-2 years then a repair is needed.
There is no single reason for computers to break down. It is often difficult to trace back to find the exact cause of the issue.
Below is common causes for computers to break:
- Age of the computer: After 3 to 4 years, parts inside your computers would have worn out and due for repairs or replacement.
- Manufacturing problems: human errors can happen in production line that lead to unexpected component failure later on.
- Computer user error such as knock, drop, water liquid spill. Sometimes this could happen unknowingly. For example, water may have leaked from behind into the laptop. You did not see it because the screen lid was up blocking the view.
- Humidity: Wet weather could be the blame for your laptop problems. Moisture in the air can short components inside computers.
- Overheating problems: every computer has a cooling system inside. Clogged dust, rust over the years causes overheating problem which lead to component failure.
- “Planned obsolescence”: similar to the light bulb conspiracy, and it’s necessary in technology. You can read more about planned obsolescence of tech on BBC.
- Power outage power surge: A storm, lightning strike in the area can kill your computer. Power board with surge protector is inadequate to prevent this from happening.
- Consumable parts: every battery is a consumable part. Computer batteries are expected to last 2 to 4 years and they degrade over time. This is perfectly normal.
- Third-party manufacturer’s errors: One manufacturer cannot manufacture everything. Many parts are actually manufactured by third-party manufacturers. These manufacturers may have had errors in their production line. For example, Foxconn is known to manufacture many parts for Apple.
- Bugs: I’m referring to real bugs and insects here. Cockroaches could have gone inside your laptops and caused troubles.
What you can try first yourself to fix the problem
There are basic troubleshooting that you can try first before sending your computer to repairs.
First, check your warranty cover. Your computer might be covered by warranty from your supplier. Standard warranty for new computers is 1 or 2 years. You may have purchased extended warranty.
If any of these applies, contact your place or purchase. This is your best option. The repairs will be Free.
Other than that, DIY repairs or paying for professional computer repairers will be your options.
It is recommended to always have backup of your data before any repair is attempted. Data loss may occur during any laptop repair process.
At-home Do-It-Yourself computer repairs
If your laptop had water spill damage, see our water damaged laptop guide instead.
If your computer is an Apple Mac, see our guide on how to test Apple Mac computer instead.
Our blog provide guides for repairing a number of different problems on different types of laptops.
If your computer still works partially, take your chance and back up your data.
Test, diagnose your computer:
Repair keyboard problem:
- Laptop keyboard issues most likely will need a new keyboard. DIY at home repairs is almost impossible.
Repairs on computer not booting, not starting, hard drive errors, freezing problem:
Repairs on laptop not charging, not turning on:
Most of laptop repairs will require taking it apart.
You’ll need a precision screwdriver kit on Amazon.
I Fix It provides comprehensive guides on how to disassemble many computers, from HP, Dell, to Apple MacBook Air or Pro laptops.
YouTube is also an excellent source for video step by step guide on how to disassemble, troubleshoot and repair your laptops.
Dell forum, Apple community are also good source to find answers to known problems.
Another place to look for is manufacturer service manual.
DIY repairs isn’t for everyone. You need to have some technical knowledge to attempt DIY repairs.
Best places to get professional computer repairs in Sydney
With seeking professional computer repairs, you have only 2 options:
- Repairs with manufacturers: Microsoft store, Apple store or send it to manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Lenovo.
- Repairs with third-party, local repairers (eg computer repair shops).
Maybe a third option is asking your employer’s company IT department who may have in-house IT employees to assist you first.
If your laptop has water damages, unfortunately, manufacturers cannot repair water damaged laptops. We’ll explain further below.
Microsoft and Apple only have a handful of stores in Sydney, they simply cannot serve every customer.
This is where local computer repairers can help you. It might be your only option.
There are local computer shops just about everywhere in Sydney. Computer repair shops, together with their network of local suppliers, can serve customers in every corner.
Of course, our store Safemode Computer Service is one. We have been repairing computers, laptops, Apple Mac since 2004.
If you’re in Sydney, you can take your laptop to a local computer repair store near you, or you can take it to our store if you are nearby. Most stores will have an available slots for you on the same day.
Our computer repair workshop accepts walk-in 7 days a week. You don’t need appointment to bring in. Just come in, anytime during our business hour.
What manufacturers can and cannot help you with
Manufacturers will provide certain repairs for your laptop. However, the fact is, manufacturers only fix a limited number of issues on your computer:
- Restore your computer back to factory settings, which means all data will be wiped out.
- Replace screen for your laptops.
- Replace battery for your laptops.
- Replace defective parts that are covered by a recall program.
- Replace damaged parts under certain conditions (eg not damaged by water spill).
Benefits of repairing with manufacturers is that you are guaranteed to have original genuine parts installed of your laptop, plus good – high quality control.
The downside is that, it could take weeks to get it repaired by manufacturers.
For good reasons, manufacturers (Apple stores included) will not do the followings:
- Repair liquid spill damage computers.
- Repair old, “vintage” computer models (4 or 5+ year old computers).
- Fix sticky keyboard key problem.
- Manual removal of virus and spyware.
- Back up or recover your data.
- Upgrade your computers to make it run faster.
- Replace parts with parts that are different or better.
- Repair on computers that had been repaired previously by a third-party technician.
It’s not that manufacturers don’t want to be helpful and fix the above problems. All manufacturers do not provide such services. It’s not possible for them to do so, for many reasons.
Don’t waste your time seeking help from manufacturers for the above.
It is likely that they will encourage you to purchase a new computer.
Unlike manufacturers, local computer repairers will repair what manufacturers can, plus the things that manufacturers cannot repair for you.
Because, it is in those third-party local computer repairers’ best interests to repair your laptop. It is within their expertise and is their main business to do so (they are not retailers nor manufacturers).
Repairs at a local computer shop often will cost you less than at manufacturers as well.
Each Microsoft store, Apple store is crowded with their employees, high overheads. Thus, it’s impossible to get your laptop repaired with them cheaply.
Local computer repair stores also have much lower overheads hence they can provide repairs at a much lower price point.