How do I get my computer fixed?
To get service for your computer, simply schedule an appointment to bring your computer to our store for an on-the-spot diagnostic and a quote for repairs. There is no charge for the diagnostic, we provide free quote when you bring in. The diagnostic process generally will take approximately 5-15 minutes, our technician will then identify the problem, look up part prices (if any), provide you with a quote for repairs, and advise you estimated turn-around time. You will need to make sure that you are available for this diagnostic process as we do not accept computer drop-off and call-back.
After we have given you a quote for repairs, you will need to make a decision whether to agree to fix your computer or to take it back without repairs. Due to the number of incoming computers and limited space, we cannot hold onto your computer and wait for your decision.
If your computer comes with a power adaptor, you should bring it in too as we may not have every adaptor in stock. We may need your computer login password so please have it handy.
Appointment is required for best experience. However, if you come in without an appointment, our staff will do our best to assist you.
As data loss or corruption may occur during services, we recommend that you do a backup of your data prior to bringing computer in. This also helps reduce turn-around time.
We do not offer diagnostic and quote at your place. However we do offer Free Pickup and Delivery services if you cannot bring in (Terms and conditions apply, see our Frequently Asked Questions page for more info).
How much will it cost?
The price varies depending the type of repair, make and model of your computer. Generally if your computer has software issue (i.e. virus), it may cost $100-$200. If your computer has hardware issue (i.e. hard drive failure, broken screen), it will involve cost for spare part and labour which price may vary $150-$300+. These prices are advisory only and may vary, we take no responsibility for incorrect pricing in this page. As a general rule, the more expensive your computer is, the more expensive it may cost to fix, i.e. an Apple MacBook Pro Retina will cost more to fix than a regular entry level Windows laptop due to the Mac’s sophisticated design and more expensive spare part cost.
Note that we do not use hourly rate and we do not quote without knowing in details the computer problem, make & model, serial number, etc.
How long does it take for repairs?
Once you approve our quote, we will commence the work immediately. However the repair process could vary from a few hours to days depending on the problem, availability of spare parts, the amount of your data etc.
Fixing computers require much more than just screw drivers and a soldering iron, spare parts are often required. While we stock common parts to facilitate repair process, it’s not possible to have all parts in stock. If a part needs to be ordered in, standard delivery time is 2-5 business days within Australia (subject to stock availability at our suppliers).
Generally you should allow up to 7 business days, except for major repairs such as motherboard replacement that needs to be back ordered. While-you-wait fix is not possible. Data backup/recovery process is time consuming, thus we highly recommend that you keep a backup of your data, this will help reducing turn-around time significantly. Our technician will advise you of turn-around time after checking your computer, part availability in our store and our supplier. You can find more information about turn-around time on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
* Business days are Monday to Friday, excluding Public Holidays.
Should I fix my computer or replace it?
This is probably one of the most common questions that we are asked, whether you should fix your computer, or ditch it for a new one. There are many factors that may affect your decision. As a computer repairer, we do not have valuation of your laptop and cannot make this decision for you.
However, there are a few things that we can mention here to help you make that decision:
Benefits of fixing your computer:
- Most people decide to fix their computers to keep their data, software licence.
- A greener planet: broken computers will end up in third world countries and it’s not a nice thing. Fixing your computer can significantly reduce this wastage and help keeping our planet greener for generations.
- Hidden cost of buying a new computer: if you choose to fix your old computer, you can re-use your existing paid software licence. However, if you purchase a new laptop, you will need to purchase your software licence again because software is licensed to each computer only. Unless you pay for a multi-license subscription, you will need to purchase new software licence again for your new computers, i.e. Microsoft Office, antivirus, and any other paid software. This could add a few hundreds of dollars toward the cost of new computer, i.e. Microsoft Office Home Student edition costs $150+, Microsoft Office Home Business edition costs $290+, antivirus software costs $40-$100+ per year, etc.
Transferring data, installing programs, configuring printers and getting a new computer set up on your home network can be a daunting task. If you’ll want professional assistance to get your new computer set up, factor in this cost before buying a new computer.
- When we fix your computer, we will help you get the best out of it too. For example, a very common issue with computers is faulty hard drive; a faulty hard drive makes your computer work slowly and frustrating to use. Fixing this problem requires a new hard drive to be installed which will help improve the computer performance significantly because:
- New drives are faster than old ones. There are many options for better drives if you want to have an upgrade at the same time, the better drives can provide up to 5 or even 16 times faster performance comparing to regular hard drives. You will notice a significant performance improvement with a new hard drive.
- Your computer will have a clean copy of OS installed without malware or bloatware that slowed down your computer previously.
- We also provide complimentary computer cleaning where possible to help prolong lifespan of your computer.
- Most new “cheap” laptops are “marketing tricks” to lure consumers in. The truth is you get what you pay for. Buying a new laptop does not necessarily mean that it will be adequate for what you need. Nothing ruins the joy of a new computer like discovering that it runs just as poorly as your old one.
Benefits of buying a new computer:
- Up-to-date hardware specs: if you have a good budget, have done your research and picked a good computer, certainly you will enjoy the benefits of having all the latest gears that come with the new system.
- You can enjoy the benefits of new warranty cover. Most new computers come with 1 year warranty and you can choose to purchase extended warranty too. Having this warranty is a great peace of mind for many consumers. Keep in mind that warranty does not cover accidental damages such as physical damages, liquid spill damages.
- If you have been mistreating your old computer, it might be time to get a new one instead of fixing the old one.
Fixing your old computer or buying a new one could be a hard decision to make at times. This is ultimately your decision to make. We have had customers who had computers with DOS and Windows 98 operating systems but were willing to pay anything to fix them, and customers who asked for us to put together a “very old” computer for them.
If you decide not to fix your computer, consider trading it in for spare parts. Recycling old broken computers is a great way to keep our planet green and giving you a great sense of responsibility. You definitely don’t want your old electronics piling up in another country.